Discussions for May and June will be on the subject of vivas and upgrade reports / theses. In preparation therefore, we gave some thought to the questions we would like to discuss.
- What training is available at the iSchool to help students prepare for their vivas?
- How does an upgrade viva compare with a PhD viva?
- What sort of scene setting is there at the start of a viva?
- How long should a viva last?
- Who sits on a viva panel?
- What are their roles?
- What are the possible outcomes of a viva?
- How often do people fail their viva?
- What sort of things cause students to fail?
- What preparation do you look for?
- Can you give an example of something that impressed you in a viva?
- What guidelines are available for upgrade reports and theses?
- Where are they?
- What is the process for upgrades?
- What is required in a Doctoral Development Programme portfolio?
- How is a transfer report assessed?
- What are the possible outcomes?
- What is the difference between a transfer report and a thesis?
- How long should a thesis be?
- What makes a good thesis?
- What makes a good Methods chapter?
- What difference does it make if a student has already published from her/his thesis?
- Can you suggest anything that all disciplines would look for in a thesis?